Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Reading Rainbow: Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto by Chuck Klosterman

Having recently read "Fargo Rock City" based on the recommendation (and lending of said book) of well-known Austin lover, KRD, I picked up "Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs" while perusing the sale racks at a bookstore while killing time. I won't go too in depth here about how great this book is, but if you are looking for a book that fleshes out the cultural importance of "Saved By The Bell"; examines the significance of cereal marketing to children; argues that the fame serial killers attain is more authentic than that of celebrities in general; asserts that Luke Skywalker within the confines of Empire Stikes Back was the blue-print for the GenXer; and compares Pamela Anderson's significance to Marilyn Monroe's once factoring in America's changing sexuality, and you want it to be laugh-out-loud funny, then this is your book.

If you know me at all, you know it's my kind of book.

2 comments:

KRD said...

YAY! I'm sitting at home in PDX clapping my hands together and saying YAY! out loud because I am so very, very happy that the gift of Klosterman has kept on giving.

Anonymous said...

He writes monthly in Esquire, the greatest value in magazines.. 1 yr subscription, amazing writing, twelve bucks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...