Wednesday, March 12, 2008

SXSW: Disaster Averted

South By Southwest,
How do I hate thee?
Let me count the ways...

I'm actually leaving town this year during SXSW. Sure, it's coincidental, but when I realized that my nerdy trip to Chicago fell on this particular weekend, I was elated. I get to escape Austin's transformation into a zoo of hipsters and industry assholes who overcrowd every restaurant in town and make my life just a little bit harder. Now a lot of the people who come here are all right, I guess, but there are a lot of jackasses walking around with their Bluetooths stuck in their ears talking to themselves and flashing their badges to get in to venues to see five minutes of some band they heard someone talking about while actual fans wait in lines to Laredo hoping to see someone who they're actually enamored with (or at least in to for the next ten minutes, but at least their friend let them listen to the record, which is more than these in-and-out, have-to-be-seen fucks can say for themselves).

Anyway...

I'll be in Chicago for the weekend for a fantasy baseball draft,--yeah, I said it, fantasy baseball draft--and then I get to see my parents and sister and brother-in-law in Virginia for the week that follows. To all one reader of the blog, I'll probably write very sparingly, if at all, but perhaps I'll have the time to look up Coach, since he's a cop in The District last I heard, and relay his well-wishes to you all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take Austin during SXSW and stretch that over an entire month, and that was Edinburgh.

Hell on Earth

Anonymous said...

And tell the T I say 'what's up' if you run into him

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...