Monday, November 3, 2008

Depths unplumbed

I don't think it's any secret that I am fond of the pre-1992 song stylings of Phil Collins. Quite frankly, you're a lunatic if you don't like "Sussudio" or "In the Air Tonight", and I try not to surround myself with the radical element.

If I were to admit to liking Peter Gabriel, that probably wouldn't shock anyone, or any monkeys for that matter.

But while Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins are the two members of Genesis to make a name for themselves as artists, I don't think either of them plumbed the depths of the human existence in a way as affective as Mike Rutherford--the brains behind Mike and the Mechanics. Where Paul Carrack and Paul Young were the voice of the project, it was clear that they were merely the megaphone for Rutherford's heart to shout out to the world.

I don't think there is a clearer example of this than the following:


I don't think there has been a song in my life that affected me as much as that song did when I was 10.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...