Sunday, July 6, 2008

Man on Film: The Foot Fist Way

It dawned on me that I had neglected to write up a review of this film, even though I said I was going to, so here it is...

For starters, the ad campaign really kind of bothered me. I'd wanted to see this since listening to the commentary track for Superbad and, personally, didn't need the Adam McKay and Will Ferrell loved it slant.

As for the film (and I'm going to keep this very brief), it was very funny at times. There were also lulls. A lot of the comedy is enhanced by tone, which often makes a film better upon repeat viewing (which I've found to be the case just about every time I've seen The Big Lebowski or O Brother, Where Art Thou?). That being said, the comedic fits and starts--upon first viewing--perhaps give the film a few too many hurdles to jump, and regardless of its great final ten minutes or so, the film kind of limps to the finish line.

I can say that there is a lot of inappropriate interaction between adults and children, which is fucking awesome and endlessly entertaining to me. Also, Danny McBride does have a weird energy that is tailor-made for a creation such as Fred Simmons.

I should note that I was especially irritated by the Austin Chronicle's review in which they categorized the film as a mockumentary, while the film never purports to be any such thing.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...