Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Prick Tunes: The Flaming Lips "Look... The Sun Rising"


When At War with the Mystics came out in 2006, I was honestly worried about the future of The Flaming Lips. I was so disappointed by the record after hearing it the first time that I never even bothered to buy it, and my distaste for the album made me very leery about checking out their next proper LP, Embryonic when it came out. Thankfully, I eventually did, and Wayne Coyne, Steven Drozd, & Co. treated me to their boldest album since The Soft Bulletin. The newest Flaming Lips release, The Terror, takes that dark vision driving Embryonic and cranks it up. While the upcoming collaboration with Ke$ha has left me scratching my head, the last two proper Lips LPs have me back on board, for serious.

This is a live performance of the album opener, "Look... The Sun Rising." I have no damn idea where it was recorded, but it looks like it was in the basement of a VFW hall.

3 comments:

Shelby said...

I honestly couldn't believe they released this as an album. I can't stand it.

Well, there's a 7-minute-long song toward the end of the album that is pretty cool, but the rest just seem almost pointless and, well, soulless.

Old Man Duggan said...

Did you re-listen yet?

Stan Earnest said...

The Flaming Lips are the philosopher's band. I question why the hell that video is so damn spooky. I still don't have the answer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...