Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Prick Tunes: Squeeze "Black Coffee In Bed"

I don't remember ever hearing this song until I caught it on an episode of Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour. Dylan kicked off the show with some vintage '40's tunes about coffee and in an odd leap from black and white to garish neon he played this:



For years after I began hearing the song everywhere.  I'd walk by a laundry mat and catch the chorus as someone walked out.  Flipping through channels it's there in the background on Cold Case or CSI or some damn thing. I became haunted by "Black Coffee in Bed."  I still wonder whether radio and tv programmers were that influenced by Dylan's TTRH or whether the song is always playing, a constant steady cosmic hum that can be tapped in and out of.

Brother Justin Crowe?

If you're at all surprised about the song's inclusion on TTRH, check this out.  It's kind of like Masked and Anonymous, but better plotted.

2 comments:

Old Man Duggan said...

Sweet, smooth tune. And how the hell had I never seen that Dylan video?

Anonymous said...

Best episode of Miami Vice I've ever seen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...