Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Musicalia: RIP Gerry Rafferty

The criminally underrated musical genius of yesteryear, Gerry Rafferty succumbed to liver and kidney related illness at 63 in Dorset, England.  The Scottish singer-songwriter who was once in a band with comic Billy Connolly (in The Humblebums), is probably best known for having co-written "Stuck in the Middle with You" with Stealers Wheel bandmate Joe Egan and having released 1978 album City to City, which yielded the pop song featuring the best sax solo ever* "Baker Street" and the even better pop gem "Right Down the Line."


*One likely responsible for the entire sax solo binge that happened in decade that followed.


Rather than wax ecstatic about the genius that was Gerry Rafferty, I'll let his music do the speaking.  First, the stirring "Whatever's Written in Your Heart" from City to City.


Here is a link to one of the three singles off of his follow-up to City to City, "Get it Right Next Time" from Night Owl, and here is a session video for its title track.

And last but not least, one of my favorite songs ever...

I can say with confidence that I'll be wearing my Gerry Rafferty shirt in remembrance of you, Gerry.  Now if I can only dig up that photo of me at the Baker Street Underground station... 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...