Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Prick Tunes: The Smiths "Asleep"

I can't say I am a fan of The Smiths. I don't dislike them, but it is rather that I have no feelings on them one way or the other. That being said, I love this song. Penned by Johnny Marr and Morrissey, this elegy for oneself is so damn haunting with the wind rooting through the background and Morrissey's vocals set against the mere backdrop of a lilting piano line. My indifference to The Smiths does not apply to this tune.
Originally released as the B-side to the pre-street single for The Queen Is Dead, "The Boy with the Thorn in His Side" (a slightly different mix than what ultimately ended up on the album), "Asleep" is found much more commonly in the US on the rarities compilation Louder Than Bombs

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...